Keeping playground equipment properly maintained is essential to the safety of the children who play there. A quality maintenance program has many benefits. In this guide we will cover:
Playground Maintenance Guide
Why is maintenance important?
Keep children and families safe.
Protect Your Investment
Improve the Play Experience
Playground Injury Statistics
What to Look for?
Regular inspection of playground equipment is important, it is equally important to look for hazards on the playground property as a whole. Look for the following:
- Broken or missing equipment
- Secure anchors, barriers, & panels
- Loose or missing bolts and/or clamps
- Heavily worn moving parts, swing parts
- Cracked and/or broken plastic parts
- Rusted, worn, or corroded metals
- Broken glass, trash and other debris
- Problems with surfacing
- User modification such as rope swings
- Vandalized, broken and defaced property
- Insect damage or infestation
- Tripping hazards like exposed tree roots
If you detect safety hazards during your inspection, record, repair, and replace the equipment as quickly as possilbe to reduce the possibility of injury.
Taking note of problems, as well as the corrective actions, and keeping the records organized is vital to keeping kids safe, and keeping your organization safe from injury related lawsuits.
We reccommend using a checklist while performing routine maintenance checks.
Start by downloading our Playground Maintenance Checklist which is based on current ASTM standards, CPSC suggestions, and information from on-staff Certified Playground Safety Inspectors.
Children are not always deterred by broken equipment and in some cases, may even be drawn to it which is why it is important to repair or remove any potentially hazardous equipment or obstructions as quickly as possible.
While some problems are easily repaired, significant issues may require the purchase of replacement equipment.
Make sure to check the equipment warranty with the manufacturer and call with any questions you may have
• If wear and tear is extensive even to the naked eye, or the functioning is compromised in a way that is unsafe.
• If a piece of equipment has already been repaired but is showing new signs of wear.
• If parts of equipment are worn or missing and are not replaceable, you may have to replace the entire piece of equipment.
If your playground needs an update be sure to shop online at PlaygroundEquipment.com.We offer full installation and maintenance programs!
Premiere Maintenance Programs
At PlaygroundEquipment.com we offer premiere maintenance programs tailored specifically to your needs, with the goal of keeping your equipment maintained, and above all safe, for years to come.
Several questions to ask yourself when deciding whether or not a maintenance program is right for you are:
- Do you have more than one playground?
- Are you short staffed?
- Does your playground have high foot-traffic?
- Do children use your playground year-round?
- Is this playground new or old?